Some interesting facts about radiology schools in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania is ranked as one of the states with the highest number of universities offering radiology course in the United States
- On average, radiology technicians are paid more than radiology technicians in other states
- There are 31 universities and colleges in the state offering radiology degree programs
- There are 23 learning institutions offering radiology associate degree programs
- There are 8 learning institutions offering radiology bachelor degree programs in the state and 6 offering certificate programs in the same
- The price range for radiology courses in universities and colleges within Pennsylvania lies in-between $2,500 and $35,000
How to become a radiology technician in Pennsylvania
Just like in most US States, the very first step in becoming a radiology technician in Pennsylvania is to graduate from a credited institution. This will involve sitting for the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) and choosing whichever course fits you the best. Once in school, you will study for 2-4 years depending on the course you are pursuing. Degree courses last for 4 years while certificate programs go for at least 2 years. For those with degree courses, you will be required to go for residency in any studying hospital for up to 1 year. It is only after this that you will be allowed to sit for the ARRT examination which allows you to get licensed. There are specialized ARRT exams for specific careers such as radiation therapy, radiography, sonogrpahy and the likes. However, there are no continuing education credit requirements for this process.
Career opportunities for radiology technicians in Pennsylvania
Research shows that there are currently about 9,800 radiology work opportunities in Pennsylvania. In addition to this, the projected job growth rate is 16% which means this number will increase in time. Pennsylvania has also been ranked as one of the state with the highest number of major hospitals in the United States. These make the perfect place to look for career opportunities as a new graduate. In addition to this, there are several medical centres, imaging centres and physician offices of which also offer career opportunities for new radiology graduates.