At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AAS Radiologic Technology
- BS Radiological Sciences
- AS Diagnostic Medical Sonography
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Health Informatics
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Surgical Technology
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MS Health Informatics
Some interesting facts about radiology schools in South Carolina
- 2% of radiology learning institutions in the nation are located in South Carolina
- There are only 3 institutions offering certificate programs for radiology courses
- There are 11 universities/colleges offering radiology degree courses and also 11 learning institutions offering associate degree programs
- The average radiology student population per institution in South Carolina is approximately 9,000
- There is no institution offering bachelor degree programs for radiology in the state
- For community colleges/career schools, the tuition range on an yearly basis is somewhere between $7,000 and $10,100
- Currently, the number of occupied job positions in the radiology sector are 3,240
- The estimated job growth by 2018 is 16%
How to become a radiology technician in South Carolina
The process of becoming a radiology technician in South Carolina basically involves 2 main phases; accreditation in a radiology learning institution and licensing. The learning phase starts off with one sitting for the MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) of which you are expected to pass with flying colors. This phase will last for duration of four years. Two of these years are spent attending lectures and conferences. In other words, this will be the theoretical bit of the learning phase. The remaining 2 years make up the practical bit of the learning phase. You are required to have regular supervised contact with all sorts of patients and learn your way through the hospital setting. Once you are done with the 4 years, the next step is to go for your residency. Depending on where it is you go for the residence, one can take up to 4 years. In the licensing phase, the South Carolina Radiation Quality Standards Association is responsible for offering the licenses. They offer licenses to radiology technicians specifically practicing nuclear medicine technology, computed tomography, bone densitometry, radiography and radiation therapy.
Career opportunities for radiology technicians in South Carolina
Statistics by the Bureau of Labor Statistics based in South Carolina show that currently 3,200 individuals are working in the radiology sector. The number of jobs available is expected to grow by 16% by 2018. For new graduates, there are over 80 hospitals in South Carolina offering jobs to radiology technicians. There are also diagnostic imaging centers and special radiology centers in the region where one can start off their career.