Radiology Technician Schools in New Mexico
Some interesting facts about radiology schools in New Mexico
- Radiology technique certificates are not offered in New Mexico
- There are only 6 schools in New Mexico offering associate degree radiology programs and 7 offering degree programs in the same
- Prima Medical Institute in Albuquerque registered the highest graduation rate for radiology students at 61%
- The average tuition in career schools or community colleges for radiology technician programs is slightly over $5,000
- There is only one school offering a bachelor’s degree program in radiology within New Mexico
- The projected growth for radiology jobs in New Mexico is estimated to be at about 13% by 2021
- Currently, 1,080 radiology technicians are employed in New Mexico and their average salary annually is $55,000.
How to become a radiology technician in New Mexico
In order to get a radiology technician license in New Mexico, one has to go through a number of tests and assessments. The licenses are given by the Radiation Control Bureau based in New Mexico. It is under the New Mexico Environment Department. It is responsible for licensing of all radiology experts in the various fields within New Mexico. Before the licensing, you will be required to pass the national radiologic exam (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists Exam). Alternatively, you can sit for state exams of the same standards as the ARRT. Apart from the ordinary license, there is also a limited license offered to radiology technicians in New Mexico. For this accreditation, one has to attend a training program approved by the state and sit for the limited scope ARRT test. The training programs runs for up to 24 months and entails conferences, lectures and practical clinic tests. The radiology license should be renewed bi-yearly. The renewal process entails a compulsory continuing education sit-in that lasts for 20 hours.
Career opportunities for radiology technicians in New Mexico
In New Mexico, the most common employment for new radiology graduates is in hospitals and medical facilities. The Presbyterian Hospital and the University Hospital, located in Albuquerque, are ranked as the top hospitals in New Mexico and hire the highest number of new graduates in the region.
There are also a number of private imaging medical centers in the region. This would be another good place to look for radiology jobs in the region.
Another career opportunity in the private sector is in physician offices. They are quite a number in the state.