Radiology Technician Schools in West Virginia
[qs_listing state=”WV” areaofinterest=”RADIOLOGIC-TECHNOLOGY” campustype=”BOTH” maxresults=”10″]
Some interesting facts about radiology schools in West Virginia
- There is only 1 institution offering the certificate radiology program
- West Virginia is home to West Virginia University Hospital Departments of Rad Tech and Nutrition, which is ranked as the radiology school in the US with the lowest student population; 57
- This West Virginia University also hold the record for the institution with the largest graduation rate of 94%
- The average radiology students population in West Virginia is around 6,500
- Radiology technicians in the state are paid, on average, better than those in other professions
- There are 4 institutions offering bachelor degrees, another 4 institutions offering the associate degree program
- There are 8 universities and colleges offering the radiology science degree program
- The tuition range for universities and colleges offering radiology is somewhere in-between $14,000 and $2,900
How to become a radiology technician in West Virginia
All those seeking to become radiology technicians in West Virginia have to be licensed by the West Virginia Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Technology Board of Examiners (WVMIRTTBE). The top requirement for one to qualify for this license is that they have to have graduated from one of the accredited institutions in the state. This will involve sitting for the MCAT, attend classes for 2 years, go for supervised work in the field for another 2 years and residence in a recognized teaching hospital. You also have to have the ARRT (American Registry of Radiology Technologies) certification which will include passing the ARRT test. Just like with the license, the ARRT certification has to be renewed bi-yearly. One gets 24 education credits each and every time they renew the licenses.
Career opportunities for radiology technicians in West Virginia
It is expected that the job growth percentage in the radiology industry by 2018 should be at about 22%. It is estimated that currently there are 2,200 radiology positions in West Virginia, with 49 new positions coming up every year. Most graduates normally find jobs in physician offices, medical NGOs and hospitals. All these are common areas where you can kick off your promising career as a radiology technician.